Rae dunn dog canister
Posted by: anon | May 5, 2012
My dog has had cancer of the brain for 7 weeks now. It has spread to the spine. She has seizures from it now. I know it will come to an end soon, but I want her to have a good life while she is still here, even if I need to keep her alive with IV's until she dies. I was told by the vet that I can take her home with me if I want to, but I don't want to put her through the misery of being in a carrier and in the car for 20 min, plus the pain of the surgery. The vet also said I could put her in a carrier and lay her on my bed, but the idea of leaving her in the room that I am in now is upsetting.
I want to leave her at the vet and let them say their goodbyes, but I don't know how I could be doing that and be there at the same time.
Do you have any idea what I could do to keep Rae going and make it so she knows she is being loved, while the rest of the world moves on? I will be in town next week, but if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
The first thing I would do is a full physical exam to make sure that she is really, really okay. I'd probably want a CT scan of her head to make sure that there is nothing else going on, and a CT scan of the spine (if she has one) to make sure that the cancer hasn't spread to her spinal cord.
I'd also want to have a plan of attack. I'd be worried about infections, and the only thing I know for sure that works for this is intravenous antibiotics. The rest of it is an educated guess. There are some drugs available that can help extend her life for a while after chemo is over (such as a drug called Arsenic Trioxide), but it is not a cure. I'd want to be aggressive with the chemo as soon as I could.
I'd be really worried about the possibility of her going into septic shock, so I would get a central line (IV line that goes directly to the heart) put in.
I'd also have a vet come in, to get her neutered. I think she'd appreciate being a "lady."
So, I'd have everything checked out, and start getting the chemo going. The vet will likely talk to me about euthanasia, but I think it would be a good idea to have a conversation with her about what might happen in a few weeks.
It's been a few years, but my vet used to say that if a dog is on life support, the decision should be made about if and when, not if and how. That is the only time when a dog should really be allowed to make her own choices.
I hope that this helps, and I wish you all the best.
Posted by: Jodie | May 6, 2012
Oh man... I know exactly what you mean. Rae has a similar problem. She has bone cancer in her spine. She is on a breathing machine now. I also want to do everything possible to let her go at home. I want her to have a good quality of life. I am very glad that you are here to help us. I know the last thing we want is to have to say goodbye to our friends, but the time is coming.
If you need to, it's okay to take her to the vet in the next couple of days and do the full exam. I wouldn't want to leave her there for any longer than you can, but it is okay to be there and take her.
I am not a vet, but if she goes into shock, it is very hard to save her. It is even more hard to save a puppy. I am sure you will do your best, but I would also want to say a prayer.
Jodie, Rae needs to be with people who love her. I would be worried about her being lonely.
I am in San Francisco and I am very happy to help. I will be around next week if you need any help. Please keep me posted on your progress.
If you do bring her to the vet, I would also ask about having a blood transfusion. There is a chance that she will not make it without that. I know that they will try to get the chemotherapy going as soon as possible, so if they do give her a blood transfusion, that could be a good thing for her.
I hope that this helps,
Posted by: Jodie | May 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind reply. We will be here next week if you can help. We just got to the